Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I love shopping, but oh boy, am I impossible or what...

My motto is simply: Less is more, but only the best is good enough. With this in mind, I've been able to curb my shopping. It is so much more satisfying to buy fewer things, but things that I really want and have dreamt about.

I used to be almost a hoarder, I loved jumble sales, any sale. I had boxes after boxes of china, knick knacks, shoes, clothes with tags still on, you name it, I had it... But now for the last two years I have systematically gotten rid of most of the old stuff. I've held parties for my friends and they have taken home whatever they wanted. Some of the stuff I've sold on the local site equivalent to Ebay and then the rest got donated to charity. And good riddance, haven't missed any of it! It's an amazingly purifying experience.

I still do love shopping, but it's not compulsive anymore. I'm able to plan ahead and stick to my plan. I'm not buying anything just because it's nice to shop, but the new purchase needs to fit into my plan. Sadly this is not saving me any money, as I buy more expensive things now. How on earth did I become a Queen like this? =D
To turn this confessional into sugar talk, I'm afraid my very exact wishes would make it it impossible for a SD to spoil me with surprise gifts. I love shoes, but I know exactly what shoes I need. I love Hermès, but again, I need only certain items (and in certain colours..). I would love to build a lovely collection of jewellery, but I'm very specific what pieces I would wear. To draw you a picture; the last thing I have bought (apart from groceries, necessary cosmetics and tights etc) is a pair of Tod's flats in February. Yeap, you read it right, February.
In other words, I'm not starting from a scratch on this path of luxuries, I already have beautiful things, so would my quite refined wishlist be too much for a SD? I don't want to come across as too demanding, I just don't need anything extra to clutter my life and closets.
How have you resolved the question about gifts and your wishes with your SD/potential?

3 comments:

Caribbean Princess said...

I just asked for a puppy :)
and he said YES...he would love to get one for me.

xoxo

raw + lucid said...

I think I've kind of lucked out (keyphrase, kind of), by being nearly impossible to fit properly off the rack. I'm tiny, but my proportions just aren't that of standard patterns. Which means that no one can shop for me without my being there and trying on hundreds of garments before finding that one that fits.

I also have very specific taste, but that's pretty evident in how I present myself. But if someone really wants me to have something, they understand that they are buying it for themself and not for me.

AdrianeSB said...

Princess, true, it's good to just say out loud what we want, how else they would know =)

Curious, hmmm you're right about how to present yourself, if your style is consistent and precise, even a man must see it and not think I'd want a pink ruffled dress, if I always wear simple sheats. Oh well, who am I kidding, of course they can't see such differencies =D